Sunday, September 16, 2012

Coffee with Karyn and other memories from Empowered to Connect




My adoption buddy Erin and I packed up and traveled to Nashville, TN for a two day conference on connecting to children from hard places. My brain has completely turned to mush as I try to process all the great things that I learned at Empowered to Connect. I'll spare a few of you and make a separate blog post about what all was covered.  


Dr. Karyn Purvis (my new bestie- but more about that in a minute) is the author of The Connected Child and has done years of brain research to aide families and therapists to have a deeper connection and create attachment in children coming from traumatic backgrounds. If you have an adopted child or are a foster care parent, this is a MUST read! 



Now, if I haven't lost you yet in this entry, let me tell you this was also an amazing weekend to connect with other adoptive families.

 

Here are all the AWAA girls that attended the conference. We all ate together for a yummy dinner and shared our stories then met for lunch to process all that we had learned. So nice to have that community of believers and fellow adoptive mom's to share with.

Now.....I do have to say, Dr. Purvis and I are like best buds since we had coffee together. Some Debby Downers nay sayers people may comment and call our "breakfast date" with Dr. Purvis aka my buddy Karyn a simple hello, but I am here to say it was so much more :) Erin and I were having coffee and Dr. Purvis walks by in our hotel lobby, stops and says hi to us (I happened to be wearing a Show Hope Shirt!) and asks us about our adoption. I somehow blurted out that I loved her and told my husband I wanted to marry her  .  We were able to have a few minutes to talk with her and ask her some questions. She is an awesome woman and recovering from breast cancer. She is such a great impact in vunerable children and thier lives- will you please pray for her recovery?


We headed back home late Saturday night and had a great time....until my darn throat problem surfaced and poor Erin spent the next 7 hours driving thur the dark in the rain listening to me throw-up and spit while I tried to breath through my choking, stopping every hour to get me a new barf bag. Two more hours later, a change of clothes and an ER trip with my husband, I got a soft muscles relaxer and barium x-ray made me a better Amanda. Now I just sounds like Kermit the Frog and our car will never be the same! Ahhhh, the memories, Erin Jay- you are heaven sent !  



3 comments:

  1. Amanda, It was so great to be able to connect with you and Erin. I must say, I'm a bit envious of your Coffee-With-Karyn ;)

    I'm so sorry you had such a rough return trip & glad you're doing better.

    Take care! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle,
      It was so nice to get to connect with other AWAA moms. You all were such an encouragement to me and so thankful for the time we had together.

      Praying for you -Amanda

      Delete
  2. Holy cow - I had no idea you were sick on your way home! Just now catching up (shhhh, taking a work break to read your blog). Glad you're all better now but sheesh, talk about a rough ride home!

    So our DTE dates are (roughly) one year apart. So crazy - ours will *hopefully* be this Friday - 9/28/12. You will be a great inspiration to watch go through this, one year ahead of me. So glad I got to meet you!

    ReplyDelete