Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Random Things I Love about Ethiopia

I am so close to being back on US time but the one thing that has stuck with my body is waking up at 5am. Not a bad thing I guess, it does mean I should be on time to more things in the morning (in theory anyway).

While I was laying in the bed this morning deciding if I was going to physically get up I started thinking of Africa and specifically Ethiopia kept rolling around in my head and thus the list was born. (Disclaimer: I have been to Malawi and South Africa as well and can say many of these same things exist there. Africa is an amazing country- go see it! )

 Random things I love (and miss) about Ethiopia
 
The smell - mix charcoal, coffee, burning wood, car exhaust and incense. Some days the air was a little heavy on the car exhaust and on those days I would have petitioned some major Cadillac converters.
 
 
 
 Coffee- seriously people, best coffee I have ever tasted!
 
 
 
 "ish" time- Africa as a whole has the "ish" time. We will leave at 7 (insert ish here) which could mean we could leave as early as 7 but more than likely 7:30 or possibly 8. At first it throws you off because you thing you are late but then you realize so is everyone else and after a few days its not so bad. For a perpetual late person like me, it actually turned out as a bonus for me :) You learn to relax way more!
 
 
 
 Bartering- other than restaurants you barter for most anything you buy on the street or in most stores. I had some wonderful ladies to shop with and man- we were good! (Shout out Erica and Michelle!)
 
 
 Amharic- the language of ET is beautiful. It is filled with rolling r's and changes in pitches. Their words are long and complex and are sweet on the ears.
 
 

 The spirit of the people- this one is hard to describe. The people are amazing, they have life inside them that penetrates through you. Again, this can be said for Africa as a whole. The people have such genuine happiness in the midst of hard times with such beautiful smiles and hearts to match.




 

2 comments:

  1. Loved getting to get a little glimpse of ETH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I' m going to try to do a bunch more and post them tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete